Signature Medical Peel
What is a medical peel?
SkinLab’s Signature Medical Peel employs a specially developed protocol by our in-house doctors for the treatment of ageing skin, problematic, combination, acne/blemish-prone skin, as well as mild pigmentation. The Signature Medical Peel’s key components are:
- Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHA)
- Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA)
- Next to using sunscreen every day, a well-formulated AHA- and/or BHA-based treatment is critical to maintaining a healthy, hydrated, more even-toned complexion.
SkinLab The Medical Spa’s Medical Peel is listed as one of SINGAPORE’S BEST CHEMICAL PEELS.
Alpha Hydroxy Acids
AHAs are water-soluble acids derived from sources such as sugar cane (Glycolic Acid), bitter almonds (Mandelic Acid), milk (Lactic Acid), etc.
Benefits of Alpha Hydroxy Acids
- Boosting skin cell renewal
- Reduction of superficial fine lines and smoothening of skin
- Addressing minor hyperpigmentation and discolouration
- Treatment of acne and control of sebum production
- Gentle enough to be used as a first-line skin treatment and maintenance
Detailed benefits of each AHA:
Glycolic Acid – a common AHA because it has the smallest molecular size, meaning it can penetrate your skin the deepest for repair (but also can be potentially the most irritating if not careful)
Mandelic Acid – great for acne-prone skin because of its anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. It has the largest molecular size of the AHAs which means that it works over a longer time period, but is also the least irritating (safe for sensitive skin conditions such as rosacea and mild eczema). Mandelic Acid is a humectant, so it does not dry the skin.
Lactic Acid – a milk-derived acid and is beneficial for addressing redness issues like roseacea and sensitive skin in general. Like Mandelic Acid, it is also a humectant.
Beta Hydroxy Acids
The most common BHA used in skincare is Salicylic Acid, which is oil-soluble. It is derived from the bark of the willow tree and is a key component in the production of aspirin.
Benefits of the BHA salicylic acid
- Treatment of blemishes, skin congestion, acne
- Controls sebum production
- Kills acne-causing bacteria
- Sloughs away dead skin cells
- Boosts absorption of serums and treatments
- Tackles minor hyperpigmentation and discolouration
With a strict doctor-developed protocol, professionally trained therapists and consultants, our Signature Medical Peel can safely reduce wrinkles, correct skin tone and treat acne and problem skin.
Our consultants will take the time to discuss whether your goals and expectations for the treatment are realistic, and also discuss with you all our Medical Peel benefits and risks.
Adverse reactions are rare, but can include scarring, numbness, and infection.
Following our Signature Medical Peel, patrons can expect some relatively common side effects, such as mild irritation, redness, and peeling. These side effects will usually last for only a few days. In addition, alpha hydroxy acids may increase your skin’s sensitivity to the sun. Use sunscreen, wear protective clothing, and limit sun exposure.
The majority of customers who undergo our Medical Peel suffer no serious side effects as a result of the procedure, and most say that they would gladly repeat the treatment. However, potential severe risks of peels include permanent scarring, permanent pigment change for people with darker skin, and chemical burns.
Because peels can cause adverse reactions, prior to undergoing any, treatment you should provide our consultants and/or doctor with a complete medical history and inform us if you have/are:
- A history of heart disease
- Recurring fever blisters or cold sores
- A tendency to scar
- Pregnant; may be pregnant; lactating; breast-feeding, or if you are of child-bearing age with a positive pregnancy test before treatment
- Welcome head massage
- Double cleansing
- Medical Peel application
- Eyebrow shaping (optional)
- Professional extraction
- Face massage
- Mask application
- Sunblock/Night Protect application
Frequently Asked Questions
I’m pregnant or breastfeeding. Is the signature medical peel safe for me?
We do not recommend the Medical Peel for use while pregnant or breastfeeding. Try our popular Milk Peel instead.
How often can I enjoy the signature medical peel?
You can enjoy it once every 3 to 4 weeks.
Will the signature medical peel make my skin peel?
There is a chance your skin may peel. This will depend on the strength and type of the peel used, the frequency of treatment, and any skin reactions to the peel.
Who’s suitable/unsuitable for the signature medical peel?
As a treatment that can be tailored to individual needs and concerns, the Signature Medical Peel is beneficial and safe for all skin types, except those who are pregnant or breastfeeding. A small patch test can be done prior to the facial.
A very serious allergic reaction to the Signature Medical Peel is rare. However, seek immediate medical attention if you notice any symptoms of a serious allergic reaction, including: rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.
This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor immediately.
How much is the Signature Medical Peel?
- Full treatment with professional extraction (90mins) – $299 NETT
- Medical Peel + Mask (60mins) – $238 NETT
- Medical Peel (30min) – $218 NETT